Are you currently active in sport?
Are you currently studying at the post-secondary level in an area that relates to values and ethics in sport?
Do you think that sport is not achieving or delivering the experience that it could or should for values-based or ethical reasons?
Do you believe that Canadian sport is facing important values-based or ethical challenges that are not being fully addressed and maybe not even seen?
If the above questions resonate, then there is an opportunity for you to apply for this sport study scholarship!
This national sport studies scholarship is intended to stimulate thoughtful examination of values-based and ethical sport.
It was established in 2014 by Lyle Makosky to help support the work of the True Sport Foundation (TSF) and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport. The fund’s capital is held and invested by the Community Foundation of Ottawa and annual earnings are used by the TSF to support financial awards in the area of values and ethics in sport with the intent to support:
- The critical examination of and an open dialogue on the compelling values-based and ethical challenges in today’s sport;
- Protecting and enhancing the quality and value of the sport experience from ethical threats;
- Ensuring the integrity of the conduct of sport; and
- Watching over the values, ethical codes, and principles on which sport is founded.
Financial awards to support the critical study of sport will be granted annually to applicants who meet the criteria in these categories:
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Must be active in Canadian sport; as an athlete, practitioner (coach, official, administrator) or educator (teacher, university or college faculty, etc.); and,
- If an athlete, must be engaged in post-secondary education.
Based on the criteria above, candidates who have submitted proposals and are deemed eligible to apply for the Lyle Makosky Values and Ethics in Sport Fund will be prioritized for consideration according to the following order (highest first):
- High-performance athletes enrolled at a Canadian university, community college or other post-secondary educational institution. High-performance athlete refers to athletes who are any of the following: international team members, national team members, carded athletes, university varsity team members, competitive club athletes reaching national championships level, etc. Student-athlete candidates require a minimum 70 per cent academic average at the time of application.
- Post-secondary students active in sport at a non-high-performance level.
- Sport practitioners active/working in sport as a high-performance coach, official or administrator.
- Educators working in a sport, sports sciences, or sport management/administration or other applicable discipline.
The deadline to submit is April 30, 2020.
If you need a hard copy of your application, please print the completed form before you click the Submit button. Once you click Submit, a summary of your application will be displayed on screen as well as emailed to the address you provided on the form.
Each candidate’s proposal will be reviewed and assessed using the following evaluative framework, i.e. proposal will be critiqued against:
- The subject focus and scope of the project/study and its importance to Canadian Sport.
- The clarity of the values-based and or ethical question/challenge that the proposal will address.
- The quality of the project/study design, e.g. evaluate the 3 phases: i) formative/preparation; ii) study conduct/approach and iii) analysis, summary and application.
- The potential impact and usefulness to Canadian sport.
Priority will be given to those proposals that relate to topics of character, conduct and integrity versus those of an administrative, managerial or operational nature that lack a core values challenge.
2020 Lyle Makosky
Be a Friend of the Fund
|True Sport Foundation
Announces 2020 Fund Recipients
|Make a difference in your community by donating to the True Sport Foundation. As a donor to the True Sport Foundation, you can make a difference by advancing and supporting values-based and principle-driven sport throughout Canada.||Friends of the Fund exists to ensure donors and interested parties are kept up to date on new fund developments and receive timely access to announcements, etc.|